Friday, January 31, 2014

Consequences In Action

Updated below to make the point more generic, as was my original intent.

I mainly want to go over an example of consequences for beliefs that I totally meant to go over before...but forgot. I was reminded today after encountering a commenter on a YouTube video spouting this idea about leaving people alone if they are not "forcing" their beliefs on you.

George Zimmerman, for all we can tell, believed that Trayvon Martin was black kids in hoodies are a threat to his neighborhood. How'd that turn out for Trayvon Martin?

That, in a nutshell, is why I can't just let people believe what they want to believe. Was George Zimmerman forcing his beliefs on me? I would think the answer here is clearly "No." How about on Martin? Does killing a kid count as "forcing" beliefs on to someone? Just asking.

So, yeah, beliefs inform actions and actions have consequences. Need I really say this again?

No comments:

Post a Comment